Most common questions and answers around moveurope!

You can participate in moveurope if you have a valid international/national protection status and a valid travel document (national passport or refugee passport).

However, moveurope! is also about spreading and sharing knowledge. That’s why we organise information events and workshops, which are open to all people interested: whether you are a refugee yourself, you are supporting someone who is a refugee, you are an employer or host voluntary services.

You can participate in moveurope! if you have have a residence permit in an EU country. If you are still waiting to hear about the residence title. You or the person you know can already get some information, but you/they can only become active afterwards.

Yes, according to the current european legal situation, recognised refugees / people with an national or international protection status (political asylum, subsidiary protection, etc.) can travel to and stay in another EU country for 90 days, only if they also have a valid travel document (national passport or refugee passport). After 90 days, they must return to the country where they received the residence permit and stay there for another 90 days.

Refugees/people with (inter-)national protection are only allowed to stay in other european countries for 90 days and then have to return to the country that issued their residence permit for another 90 days. This is a considerable restriction to their freedom of movement. While people with a European passport are free to move around and can also freely choose the country in which they want to work and live. Why should this not also be the case for refugees who need to build a stable life in the EU?

For long-term mobility programmes you need a visa. This includes all stays longer than 90 days, because you are allowed to travel and stay in another EU country without a visa within the 90 days.

To get a visa you have to apply at the embassy of the country you want to stay in, in the country you currently live in.

For example, if you live in Italy and want to do voluntary service in Germany, you must apply for a visa at the German embassy in Rome. Usually you need an appointment.

You will need to bring the following documents to the embassy: National passport or travel document for refugees (valid for at least 6 months upon entry and not older than 10 years); residence permit; proof of livelihood; employment or training contract; proof of language skills, if applicable. (For more detailed information, check out our brochure.)

Legally, you are only allowed to stay in a country for the purpose and duration to which you entered by. If you have done a short-term internship (3 months), you have to leave the country again, because that is the maximum time you are allowed to spend in a country without a visa. If you have a visa for a voluntary service, you are only allowed to stay as long as the service lasts. If you want to do an apprenticeship afterwards, you have to look for an apprenticeship and apply for a new visa for this purpose.

No, moveurope! does not automatically find you a job. But through moveurope! you can get to know another country and people as well as learn or improve the language. If you want to work and live in this country for a longer period of time, you will have to look for a job. This step depends on the country in which you want to work in.

If you have already learned a profession, you usually have to go through a recognition process.

If you have done an apprenticeship in Germany, you usually get 6 months after completion fo the apprenticeshipto look for a job (some employers even offer a job after the apprenticeship). You have to go back to the country where you got a residence status and apply for a visa for working purposes to be able permanently migrate.


In Germany, there are many opportunities to volunteer. 

You can do a voluntary service or civic service in the social, ecological or cultural field.

• Usually full-time employment with entitlement to regular vacation • Offers various training seminars for the volunteers • Social insurance is provided by the employer • Pocket money of up to 414 € is provided • Accommodation can be provided, but it is not guaranteed

There are different national types of voluntary service and also the European voluntary service (ESC programme).


Depending on the program there are age limits (16-27 years) but there are also programs open to people up to 99 years.



Normally, a voluntary service lasts between 6-12 months; 

usually 6-12 months (officially possible time frame: 6–24 months)


During your voluntary service, you normally get pocket money, accommodation and board from the organization you are volunteering for, you receive access to language courses, training and seminars and will meet other young people that volunteer in Germany.